|Katydid's almond butter and jelly sandwich on Pecan-Raisin Bread from The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook|
This post is a little late because Monday was a whirlwind after a busy weekend, but I'm here for what amounts to my last week on this Whole 30 challenge. I say "this" one because I think I'm going to reset everything as of February 1st... perhaps allowing for a something honey-sweetened around Valentine's Day. I guess that makes it less of a "challenge" and more of "a way of life", at least for now. I think starting a medication in the middle of the challenge made it harder in some ways. Prior to starting the medication, my taste buds had adjusted so that it was hard to eat an entire apple, because it was too sweet. An apple! But since I've been taking the medicine, I've broken down and eaten some of the honey-sweetened breads I've made for the kids. The problem with those is that it doesn't matter if they're made of almond flour or regular flour, I tend to eat either to excess. My brain thinks, Quick bread! Whoo-hoo! One thing I was happy to discover is that the Pecan-Raisin bread pictured above (with jelly, but that wasn't what I ate) and the Scrumptious Sandwich Bread (linked below in the menu) are unsweetened. No honey, no agave, etc. I can eat those. But the other stuff is not so good for me right now.
- blueberry-banana kefir smoothie (kids)/leftover chicken soup (me)
- almond flour sesame crackers, cheese, deli roast beef, bananas (kids)/leftover chicken sausage, kimchi (me)
- meatloaf, roasted carrots and parsnips, green beans
- Snacks: fruit, sesame crackers, almond butter, hardboiled eggs, string cheese (kids)
|Almond Flour sesame seed cracker dough rolled out on a cookie sheet and ready for the oven.|
- almond flour cranberry scones (kids)/eggs (me)
- Roast Lamb (based on Ina Garten's Herb Roasted Lamb, but I didn't use butter, and I cooked it at a lower temperature), roasted brussel sprouts, green beans, fruit
- Snacks: cheese, leftover scones (kids), sesame crackers, almond butter, fruit
- banana kefir smoothie, hard-boiled eggs (kids)/eggs (me)
- Beef Polish Sausage Sliders, sauteed onions and green peppers, green beans, frozen blueberries
- Red Sauce (with meat) over spaghetti squash, oranges
- Snacks: leftover lamb, fruit, cheese (kids)
|Almond flour Cardamom Raisin Bread|
- almond flour Cardamom Raisin Bread (recipe below), plus eggs for me
- sugar-free hot dogs, fermented dill relish, pineapple, salad (me)
- Crockpot Ginger-Orange Chicken Thighs (a recipe born of desperation which turned out not so badly), stirfry veggies in coconut oil, mango
- Snacks: popcorn and Club crackers (Grandma's house, kids), cheese (kids), leftover raisin bread, leftover lamb
Inspired by Elana's recipe for Date Pecan Muffins.
6 c. blanched almond flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cardamom
2 tsp cinnamon
zest of 1 or 2 lemons
1/2 c. melted butter (you can substitute coconut oil for a slightly different taste)
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp vanilla
a couple of handfuls of raisins (more if your family likes raisins)
Combine the dry ingredients (except for the raisins) in one bowl, wet in another. Pour the wet into the dry and stir until thoroughly combined, then fold in the raisins. Bake at 350 (if your oven runs hot, 325) for 35-45 minutes. Yummy.
- blueberry-peach kefir smoothie, hardboiled eggs (kids)/um... you can probably guess what I had for breakfast by now
- Elana's Pecan Raisin Bread - sunbutter (or almond butter) sandwiches, oranges **I doubled the recipe for the bread, left out the arrowroot and used double the amount of almond flour per recipe. So instead of 1/2 c. of almond flour for a double loaf, I used 1 c. almond flour and no arrowroot powder. Clear as mud, right?
- "Tropical" salmon patties, snow peas, kiwi and pineapple, salad for me
- Snacks: The pecan raisin bread sandwiches were so filling, all the boys asked for until dinner time was a glass of milk! Before bed, they each had an orange and some cheese, and a couple of them ate spoonfuls of almond butter. Macadamias for Andy and me.
- Elana's Scrumptious Sandwich Bread with sunbutter (kids)/with butter for me and fried eggs (I made this bread the same way as the pecan raisin bread, without using arrowroot or flax.)
- Mexican restaurant -- the kids ate chips, quesadillas, etc./Andy and I had fajitas, minus the tortillas, rice, and beans, w/extra veggies
- Pan-seared tri-tip, sauteed onions, green beans, butternut squash fries, blueberries
- Snacks: cheese (kids), banana chips with almond butter
- Chocolate-almond kefir smoothies (kids)/eggs and leftover steak (Andy and I)
- A train wreck as far as the kids' diet went. Andy took the kids to Costco at lunchtime while I was in my class and they had drive-thru on the way (we didn't have enough time to pack lunch, and Andy didn't want to mess with that); for dinner, there was Grandma's pizza birthday party. Lots and lots of soda. The boys were bouncing off the wall by the time it was over.
- The pizza place thankfully had a "build your own salad" entree. I built mine with a lettuce mix, roasted red peppers, green peppers, onions, Roma tomatoes, avocado, bacon, and turkey.
- Andy and I both had Larabars.